AHRN supports the strengthening of the National Methadone Maintenance Therapy (MMT) Programme in the Drug Treatment Centers/Hospitals of the Ministry of Health and Support in all AHRN projects (except Laukkai, Northern ShanState where there is currently no existing MMT program).
What we do?
• Promote awareness on MMT among the clients by means of providing Health Education and IEC;
• Promote awareness on MMT and advocacy among the community;
• Preliminary assessment, intake procedures of prospective MMT clients;
• Individual counseling, family counseling before, during and after the induction phase;
• Referral systems to Drug Treatment Center or outpatient based MMT clinic in Township Hospitals;
• Support Man Power to Drug Treatment Center/Hospitals/MMT clinics by AHRN staffs (especially of Methadone dispensation);
• Psychosocial support (including transport, income generation and nutritional support);
• Collaboration with Drug Treatment Center and MMT clinics for case management of clients;
• Making follow up for each individual client (missing dosage, drop-out)
• Referral System to other Health Care Facilities (Hospitals, INGO, Self-Help Groups);
• Data collection and MMT database management.
Why we do?
• For clients to have better knowledge on MMT and to have good adherence on long term maintenance therapy;
• To get better community understanding and acceptance of drug treatment and MMT in particular;
• Since MMT is a long term medical and psycho social treatment, individual assessment is important based on client’s motivation on treatment and behavior change. The support from family and peers care takers is a crucial part of maintaining the treatment.
• For clients to have easy access to drug treatment (one of the strategic priorities in preventing HIV among PWID and PWUD).
• To have a comprehensive package of treatment (MMT, ART, TB, Social support services etc.)
• To have a good database and reporting system for treatment outcomes (active, drop-out, cessation of treatment, co-morbidities)